Friday, August 10, 2007

My Hoki-doki days

I'm sorry that I cannot keep in touch yesterday. The day before yesterday (Wednesday), we visited Channel 9 to see a live broadcast news. Although it was about 40 degrees Celsius, we walked down there I believe it was a valuable experience to go there. Inside the news station there were many TV screens with a remarkable clock that a woman who was showing us around emphasized that they are really vital to keep the live broad cast on going. Fortunately, while other students were at the studio, communication students had an opportunity to see the control room where producers and directors keep track of time and conduct the whole agenda. I made me feel nervous since the atmosphere was very tense. Owing to the visit to this place I worked to find out the tricks hidden in how the announcers and newscasters memorize (read!!) their scripts looking at the camera. A guy inside the control room told us that there is a device that shows every single words of the script, in other words announcers can read the script by looking at the camera. I realized that many staffs are working together to enhance their quality of accuracy along with individuality. One of the things that were really interesting was that a newscaster who mainly reads broadcast news had a different role since they have to talk and point a green wall which appears to be a map of the continent of the US with their temperatures on the audiences’ screen. The anchor of the channel 9, Ms. J.C. Hayward, was really nice because she let us take self picture with her one by one. Later that day we had a subway accident since someone has left a bag which was prospected to have a bomb inside it. I was surprised to know that they check whosever bag whether it has a danger but mentors said this usually happens. According to this incident, we happened to miss our class. In night we enjoyed playing the billiards. It was fun!! Then we headed to a Japanese restaurant where the miso soup reminded me of Japanese food.

On the next day, we visited to IDB as Inter-American Development Bank. A Japanese woman took care of us and guided the building. We ate lunch at the cafeteria of the IDB which was a worthy experience. After eating lunch we had a chance to hear the Japanese specialist worker in the IDB. There were 4 people who explained us how the IDB contribute to the developing countries from Latin America to many parts of Africa. The board room was like ones in the UN or Japanese parliament. Then we went to National Portrait Gallery where I liked the portrait of American Presidents. In night we went to Chinatown and ate sandwiches in the College Park. After returning to our room, there was a big insect like a mosquito and I was really surprised. However our friend killed the insect, and so I had a good night sleep zzzz….


Hiromi said...

Hello, Kana!
I enjoyed reading all of the things you did during the last fwe days. Your detailed report about the visit to Channel 9 helped me understand how the tv station in the US works! It's always fun and interesting to see something that we can't see, right?

Also, I'm sorry to hear that you missed the class!

Laura said...

Wow, you wrote a really long post! I'm glad to see so much detail though...I can get a feel for how you enjoyed the activities!!

Not so related, but lately there have been a lot of mosquitoes in my room at night! They bite me before I realize, and it's really itchy (x_x)

Berta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berta said...

Hi Kana,
What a detailed account of your visits in your long but very descriptive post!!!
I could imagine the AGU group observing the newscasters doing their job so skillfully, a possible bag at the subway as well as the insect in your room. I am glad to know you were able to sleep well after such a hectic and interesting day.
Regards, Berta

Berta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berta said...

Kana, I am really sorry for all the messages that were sent to your post. I was having problems with my web connection and later realized my comment had been sent several times. I can´t delete them now. My apologies.

Cheers, Berta

COCO said...

Hi,Kana!!  How are you doing??
Your mother told me that you have wrote blog. I’m very happy to hear that you are enjoying your stay in America.
It's very hot today! Today's temperature in Tokyo is said to be 36degree!!
Oh...I'll go to my grandfather's house in Saitama. I'm sorry for my poor writing skill. See you later!!

YOur friend, Natsuki.

Dennis said...

Hello, Kana.

I thought I had posted comments here, but I don't see any, so . . . .

I thoroughly enjoy your long, detailed posts. They will be a great help in preserving your thoughts, impressions, and memories of your days in Maryland. This is important because details quickly fade away.

Your comments about the visit to WUSA Channel 9 were fascinating: it's always interesting to get a "behind the scenes" view. I was particularly interested in your description of the tension in the control room. The people working there have a lot to monitor, don't they?

I was also interested in your comments about JC Hayward and about use of the teleprompter.

I'm sorry that the incident on the subway caused you to miss your class, but this event had a happy ending, didn't it?

Your account of the IDB was also very interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the National Portrait Gallery.

I wonder what kind of insect was in your room.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Maryland!

I look forward to reading more in your blog!

Best wishes--

Dennis in Phoenix

Nina Liakos said...

Dear Kana,
Somehow I missed reading this post, and I enjoyed reading it today, especially your description of the experience in the Channel 9 control room, where I wasn't able to go!
I don't think the metro station closing was a usual event, but I know they are always very careful about apparently abandoned bags and parcels, because they couldcontain a bomb; but most of the time (thankfully) somebody just forgot their parcel, as was undoubtedly the case that day.